A Bit About Nottingham
Location: Central England
Population: 275,000 (20% of the population are in their 20s)
Best way to get around: By foot, bus, tram... not much parking and they have parking 'police' that pop out of nowhere.
Famous for: Rodin Hood and Sherwood Forest ring a bell?...
Robin Hood is Nottinghamshire's mos
t famous son and the world's favourite folk hero. His adventures have been retold down the generations, from medieval ballads to Hollywood blockbusters. Tradition tells that Robin Hood was an outlaw who poached the king's deer in the royal hunting forest of Sherwood. Stories relate how travellers through the forest provided rich pickings for the gentleman robber and his band of "merry men". The tale (or is it?) goes that he outwitted the evil Sheriff of Nottingham, turning the tables on corrupt churchmen and officials who abused their power over an oppressed peasantry.
The Local Lingo
(Just in case you don't understand us when we come home!)
Wottjowant? - Do you want something?
Gizzabitt - Can I have some?
Gizzago - Can I have a turn?
Am tellin yammam! - Your Mother shall hear of this incident!
Wott yonnwee? - What are you doing?
Itwerr krapp! - It was not very good
Owdya orsuzz! - Please be patient!
Shuttya gobb! - Please be quiet!
Gerronn wee-it - Please carry on
Am nakkud - I'm a bit tired
Yo jammi sodd! - You lucky person
Tarrah then - Goodbye
Jono? - Do you realise?
Shintin - I'm afraid the lady of the house is not at home.
Population: 275,000 (20% of the population are in their 20s)
Best way to get around: By foot, bus, tram... not much parking and they have parking 'police' that pop out of nowhere.
Famous for: Rodin Hood and Sherwood Forest ring a bell?...
Robin Hood is Nottinghamshire's mos
t famous son and the world's favourite folk hero. His adventures have been retold down the generations, from medieval ballads to Hollywood blockbusters. Tradition tells that Robin Hood was an outlaw who poached the king's deer in the royal hunting forest of Sherwood. Stories relate how travellers through the forest provided rich pickings for the gentleman robber and his band of "merry men". The tale (or is it?) goes that he outwitted the evil Sheriff of Nottingham, turning the tables on corrupt churchmen and officials who abused their power over an oppressed peasantry.The Local Lingo
(Just in case you don't understand us when we come home!)
Wottjowant? - Do you want something?
Gizzabitt - Can I have some?
Gizzago - Can I have a turn?
Am tellin yammam! - Your Mother shall hear of this incident!
Wott yonnwee? - What are you doing?
Itwerr krapp! - It was not very good
Owdya orsuzz! - Please be patient!
Shuttya gobb! - Please be quiet!
Gerronn wee-it - Please carry on
Am nakkud - I'm a bit tired
Yo jammi sodd! - You lucky person
Tarrah then - Goodbye
Jono? - Do you realise?
Shintin - I'm afraid the lady of the house is not at home.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home