Just a thought or two
Since we've been here in Nottingham there's been the odd thing or two that has caught my eye and i've thought... 'hmmm that's different..' or i notice things that i miss from home.
- People stand in lines at bus stops. The person first in the line is always first on the bus. I don't know if its because i wasn't one to catch a bus often in Wellington whether this is just something i've never noticed before or if it is a little unique.
- Here you flag down the buses. They won't automatticaly stop for you. You must indicate, in good time and with vigorous flapping of both arms if necessary in order to catch your ride.
- Some Notts bus drivers should not be in the profession. I have a feeling this goes for particular bus drivers world wide. They drive insanely fast, one day we were on the bus and the driver didn't slow down in time and smashed into the bus stop
taking off his side mirror. Others seem to believe that braking is a last minute resort and slowing down is not an option. Having worked as an Orthopaedic nurse i fear daily for all the oldies who battle their way to the front of the bus, before getting off, struggling to keep balance and to keep from breaking a perfectly good, working though aged, hip. - Buses bow here which is quite cool. Welcomed greatly by mum's and dad's with prams and oldies a bit off balance.
- Having made this point I would personally like to thank all those bus drivers who do a bloody good job.
- You may have seen recently in the papers that Nottingham as been labelled the crime capital of England, I'm not sure how correct that statistic is I think they actually got us mixed up with somewhere else (so please visit!). Anyway I have a feeling it could also be competing for teen pragnancy capital. The number of young mums with little, gorgeous, wee ones in prams is quite staggering. But when 550 unborn babies are killed daily in Britain I thank God that these girls have chosen life and not death. I found a very interesting and disturbing article recently. http://www.christianvoice.org.uk/abortion.html
- When people greet you here, instead of saying "how are you?" they ask "Are you alright?" but it's more like "ya awerigh?" It always makes me feel like there's meant to be something wrong with me.
- Whe people bump into you by clear accident they're quick to say 'sorry' but something tells me that it's more due to fear, (hmm perhaps of getting beaten up by some yobbo) rather than genuine sympathy.
Things i miss from home...
- They don't have decent peanut butter
- Breadcrumbs only exist in the golden variety. You know the type that you find on frozen fish fingers. Not exactly the type you use for meatballs or stuffing.
- They're seriously lacking in the bulk bin food option. We've only spotted one shop that has it and it was only a small amount of goods on offer.
- No bulk food bins = no bulk bin pick and mix lollies! I'm gutted. Wasteline will probably be better off.
- The milo you can buy here is more like Bornvita. Eww. Ellen and Sam your package was apreciated.
- Chocolate taste different here too. Must be the cows. Doesn't stop me eating it though. Hmmm maybe the wasteline will still be worse off after all.

2 Comments:
Must also add no cookie time cookies including those white choc and raspberry bars..Mmm or "V" my stable diet back home.
Must say I prefer the chocolate, its creamer- they add parafin back home so it doesn't melt
By
Kev, at 12:46 PM
Must also add no cookie time cookies including those white choc and raspberry bars..Mmm or "V" my stable diet back home.
Must say I prefer the chocolate, its creamer- they add parafin back home so it doesn't melt
By
Kev, at 12:46 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home