The Exciting Adventures of Team Mo!

Sunday, August 19, 2007

East Anglia...

Our visit to Norwich wouldn't be complete without a wee stroll around it's Cathedral, the spire of which goes up a long long way. Evidently the Norwich-ians are fond of their Cathedral and it's an impressive building... see what you think...


Abbey seemed to enjoy the look around, and, as she's completely mastered looking up there was a long way to look
for a change! She was her usual self, attracting attention from all sorts of people - including the bishop who blessed her. Nice.













Outside the Cathedral we stopped to attempt a family photo, but the Abster was not having a bar of it and decided to turn her head in the opposite direction, despite our best efforts to head her the other way, fair enough that she doesn't appreciate looking into the sun eh?! We also found a statue of a dude called Wellington, so stopped for an Obligatory photo, given that home is named after him...




Norwich was a bit of allright, though found a few buildings that might benefit from Dad's attention, and a spirit level!
We bid a fond farewell to Norwich and headed off in the Direction of Great Yarmouth and the rest of the East Anglian countryside. Great Yarmouth is one of these somewhat quaint British Seaside towns. Evidently a beach is not enough entertainment for the Brits, or maybe it's just not sunny enough often enough... Anyway they build loads of these Amusement parks and Video arcades and rides and stuff, Kind of like a permanent carnival, and of course complete with loads of places to buy the local fare (Fish and Chips) and Candyfloss. Apparrently they also have another classic candy, which a patient of mine told me about the other day... if only I could remember the name of it - apparrently comes in sticks and the stick has the name of the place or town where you got the candy (I guess to you can collect your used candy sticks - Gross!) Anyway I think these Beachside towns are kinda interesting. And certainly something a bit different for this Kiwi-kid.






















Lowestoft was the next town, and probably deserved the drive through it got. We were lured off the main road momentarily by the promise of cliffs, which turned out to be somewhat slight sand dunes, but we took a family photo anyway, just so we could say we'd had a family trip to the beach. And then headed off for Southwold, which Phil promised was the nicest wee beach spot around... And i'd have to agree - great little town, cool beach front complete with loads of those little sun huts like we'd seen before on the south coast. Evidently people purchase these tiny (and expensive) pieces of real estate. Though I reckon they're more rain huts than sun huts. At least this summer they are anyway. Ok Enough about the huts. I have no photo's of them anyway. What I do have a photo of is Mez in the wee Garden Cafe we stopped in for lunch and Abbey, post feed, looking a damn sight more contented than she was prior to the feed when she screamed us out of the car and out of the first Cafe we tried to seek refuge in (ok so it wasn't quite like that, we left cos there was nowhere private enough to breastfeed and EVERYONE in the place was staring at us somewhat uncomfortably... So we have a screaming child... so what?!!


So then after a great Panini, Ginger Beer and the like, we wandered through a clothes

shop and got Mez a great wee holiday skirt and then headed on our way towards London. Have to say I thought the countryside was especially beautiful. Loads of big paddocks with big Mature Oak trees and Maples etc. Looked Beaut and I had this great Moment as Mez and Abbey slept and I drove through the English countryside, singing away to John Farnham (among others), and enjoying the passing views, of really realising how Lucky I was and I would swear God could see us, and was delighting in that Summery happiness and genuine love of life. It was a great day. Indeed the paper said the hottest of the year, and so hot I had to partly close the sun roof for some shade! Almost glad I wasn't driving a Boxter convertible. Actually, no that would be a stretch. A Boxter convertible would have been quite amicable despite the heat.

Anyway dreams aside, A few hours later we did manange to make it to Dan and Jax's place in Fulham, despite a horrid jam on the Northern Circular which slowed us up by over an hour, and reminded us why we don't live in London!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home